Anthony N. Elia is the founder of The Law Office of Anthony N. Elia, P.C. He focuses his practice on intellectual property and business matters.
Mr. Elia represents companies and individuals in transactions and contract negotiations, litigation, arbitration, and in the appeals process. He is an experienced, aggressive and savvy litigation lawyer who has secured numerous victories for his clients. He treats every case as if it will go to trial, researching every fact and point of law. He uses a thorough grasp of the law and facts to persuasively convey that information into clear and understandable terms.
In all matters, Mr. Elia is focused on achieving superior results for his clients, always mindful of the end game at every stage of the representation. Mr. Elia utilizes an efficient, creative, and practical approach, and knows when to be an aggressive advocate and when to be an effective negotiator during settlement and deal-making discussions.
Since Mr. Elia started his own practice concentrating on intellectual property and business law, the firm has begun offering clients services in personal injury, family law and real estate which Mr. Elia oversees.
- Successfully brought suit against a Fortune 250 Company for copyright and right of publicity violations.
- Successfully defended corporation in shareholders’ dispute.
- Successfully fought a liability insurer to obtain insurance for small business owner.
- Successfully defended business from multi-milliondollar property damage and person injury claim.
- Successfully represented author in suit against publisher who failed to adequately market and distribute novel.
- Successfully represented author in copyright infringement suit against co-author and publisher.
- Successfully represented business in trademark infringement, unfair competition, trade secret, false advertising, tortious interference with exclusive distribution agreement.
- Successfully represented copyright holder in obtaining a preliminary injunction against seller of infringing apparel patterns.
- Successfully defended client against trademark infringement, false designation of origin and dilution claims relating to replacement piano decals.
- Successfully represented factor in suit to recover approximately $2.5 Million on defaulted factoring agreement.
- Defended apparel marketer in $50 Million lawsuit for its alleged failure to adequately and successfully exploit licensed intellectual property.
Publications and Lectures
- Society of American Travel Writers Annual Conference, 2011
- American Society of Journalists and Authors Annual Conference, 2011
- American Society of Journalists and Authors Annual Conference, 2010
- Society of American Travel Writers Annual Conference, 2010
- Society of American Travel Writers Annual Conference, 2009
- Society of American Travel Writers Annual Conference, 2008
- Copyright Registration Basics, Travel Writer, September 2007
- Should I form a business entity? The Small Business Professor by Bruce Freeman, June 2007, syndicated by Scripps-Howard
- Author Law A-Z, (co-author) Capital Books, Inc., 2005
- Fine Print = More Money, The Newswomen’s Club, June 15, 2005.
- Publishing Contract Panel Discussion, American Society of Journalists and Authors Annual Writers Conference, 2005
- Cornell University, College of Agriculture and Life Science, Ithaca, NY, Bachelor of Science, 1996.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Law, Buffalo, NY
Juris Doctor, 2000. Copyright and Publishing Clinic, 1999-2000
Bar Admissions and Affiliations
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2000
- New York, 2001
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2001
- United States District Court for the Eastern of New York, 2001
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York, 2001
- Member-at-Large, The Authors Guild
- New York County Lawyers Association, Member